Sunday, January 1, 2012

A need to write

I'm certain all bloggers are taking advantage of the new year to get back to their blogs and get writing again.  I know I've been remiss, but when you're working on a second Master's degree which basically requires writing papers every week, the last thing I want to do for enjoyment is write.


But I find that I have to say to wrap up 2011 and ring in 2012, so please forgive me as my thoughts go all over the place in this cathartic exercise of brain dumping about about to embark on.


2011 was the year of new friends.  There was nothing wrong with my old friends, most of which still remain a very active component of my life.  But anyone who says you can't make new friends in your thirties is severely mistaken, as I have made incredible new friends this past year from my involvement in life as a thirty-something. I've said it aloud many time but let me put it in writing: I am TRULY blessed by the friends I have and the fact that I can say I have friends as far away as Alaska and San Diego and as close as right here in town, and almost everywhere in between.


I've learned a lot about what's important, and what's not. People are important.  Things, while nice, are not. I find more pleasure in spending time with my friends and family then I do in buying a gorgeous new purse.  Sure, I love the new purse, but after a few days of carrying it thru daily life, there's always something that seems to annoy me about it - either it's too heavy, falls off my shoulder, doesn't zip easily, or I can never find what I'm looking for in it.  Family and friends can be annoying, too, but I will forever carry them with me through life. I will, eventually, get tired of carrying that newest purse around, and it will go in my closet amongst the others I've forgotten. 


Let me backtrack a moment...TRUE people are important.  Toxic ones are time-wasters and really suck the life right out of you. The old rule we learned in kindergarten that "honesty is always the best policy" stands true today.  If only more people would still listen to it! I pride myself on my straight-shooting, and find the people I keep closest to me are equally, if not more so, straight shooters. I love that always know where I stand with them, and I love that I can always tell them straight as well.  We would all feel so much freer if we were just more honest - with each other, with ourselves... So with the new year I have decided to cut ties with anyone who doesn't stand a chance being honest or true.  Forgotten for Auld Lang Syne.


Life continues to surprise and entertain me, even though at times during this year it took a LOT of effort to keep positive and be happy.  But the people who I keep close, or have brought closer, always seemed to know how to pull it out of me, even without them knowing they had to do it.  And for that, I thank them.


You never know how you're going to meet someone, or what's going to come out of someone's mouth next,  but you always can be entertained by it, even the weirdest of circumstances. 


So today I entered 2012 feeling entertained by 2011 and looking forward to a brand new year to start fresh..again. 

And because I just can't get enough of Big Bang Theory and the concept of Schrondinger's Cat,  please enjoy this clip which I've decided is going to keep me keeping on in 2012.

Bazinga.

No comments: